The Church of St Peter and St Paul Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire, UK
A few re-used stones are all that remain from the church mentioned in the Domesday Book. Some of the 13th Century structure is still visible at the base of the tower. The south aisle and porch date from the early 14th Century, the chancel from around 1350, and the spire from the end of the 1300s.
The chancel was built by William of Longthorpe, where he lies buried in the centre of the floor, an indent can been seen of where the brass was once situated, the lettering on the tomb-slab is Lombardic.
Capability (Lancelot) Brown, and his wife Mary are buried in the church yard, with a memorial monument to Capability Brown in the Church, it was believed to of been designed by Sir Francis Bacon, made of Coade stone, the inscription readsYe Sons of Elegance, who truly taste
Capability Brown was Lord of the Manor of Fenstanton, and although not a full time resident of the village, his family did live in the Manor House from time to time. He went on to become High Sheriff of the County of Huntingdonshire, his sons continued to call Fenstanton home after his death.
Also buried in churchyard are the parents of John Howland who sailed on the Mayflower as a Pilgrim Father. In 1981 the Pilgrim John Howland Society of America presented the church with an additional bell, now making a total of 6.
More about John Howland