Fenstanton Clock Tower and the old Post Mill

Clock Tower and Post Mill of Fenstanton in Huntingdonshire, UK

 

Fenstanton Clock Tower

Clock Tower

Fenstanton Clock Tower (circa 1947)

Fenstanton Clock Tower (circa 1947)

 

On the north end of the village is the Old Clock House, a 2 storey square brick building, initially a 17th Century lock-up, there is a smaller example surviving in the village of Needingworth, across the river. In the upper floor is a clock, the octagonal face showing to the north down the High Street, came from Conington Castle which was demolished in the 1950s. The roof is laid with slate, topped by a timber cupola with round arches, inside is a bell cast by Thomas Norris in 1660. It was restored in 1989 and is now a Grade II listed building. Over the years its function has changed, once the site where market taxes where collected, it has also been a garage for the old fire engine, had a bus shelter built on to one side, now removed, and still houses the village stocks.

 

 

Fenstanton Post Mill

Post Mill

Fenstanton Post Mill (circa 1947)

Fenstanton Post Mill (circa 1947)

 

Situated on this busy route south to London Fenstanton once boasted 2 corn mills, a windmill, a brewery and a gas works within its parish boundaries. But is now a rural village where Morris Dancers still attend on Village Plough Monday and Bank Holidays dancing their way around the village pubs. The largest works is now owned by Dairy Crest, from where milk floats deliver to a wide area.